Monday, October 13, 2008

Yes, I am very stubborn!

Just ask Alex or my mother or any of my siblings: I may be one of the most stubborn people on this planet!

Sometimes it's a good thing. My mom tells a story about when I was about 5 years old and the neighbor girl was trying to get me to jump off the roof into our pool. I told her that it was a bad idea and we could get hurt. She told me that if I didn't do it then I couldn't be her friend. I said, I don't care. And I really didn't...so I guess I lost a friend, but I also didn't break a leg that day!

But, it can sometimes be a bad thing too. Like when I resist doing something that I should just because I said that I wouldn't do it. Even if God is telling me that I am being stubborn and that I should listen to that "still small voice". (Sometimes I think God needs to use a sledge hammer or lightning bolt to get through to some people...but that's not His way.) I'm sure He knew all along that I would do it....He was probably laughing at how stubborn I am.

Sorry if I'm being cryptic, but those who know me...know what I'm talking about.

I finally listened to Heavenly Father, my heart, the burning in my chest (good ol' Holy Spirit) and many other smart people (like my husband.) I decided to be baptized and join the LDS Church. It was such a great day and experience. I had so many wonderful friends attend and participate.

I just can't thank everyone enough for their support and love!! Especially the Eggetts (who are just awesome), Charity (for supporting me even though it took me forever to tell her), Meghan (ditto), Kristy and Jean (for singing the most beautiful, Spirit filled hymn ever!), the Cruzes (for being so excited and praying so hard for me), the Sanos (miss you guys and no, I am not going to be a Republican now, Keith), Melissa (for the wonderful talk on the Holy Spirit and being a crier--I love that she is so in tune with the Spirit), my wonderful in-laws and my mother for attending, keeping Ollie busy, and loving and supporting me! The Missionaries were also so great, but I don't think they are allowed to look at the internet...so I'll have to wait to give them a shout out! And of course, my incredible husband and son...who I can't thank enough for being my family!!

Cheesy, I know...but I had to have a good blog entry since it has been so long since I have written anything.

I also wanted to share a link to a recent article in the Ensign...it is almost exactly how I felt and he words it much better than I can.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=c3fc88c617b9c110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1

I just want to close with some pictures, but also with some insight into how I feel since being baptized. It's hard to put it into words, but the thing that keeps coming to mind is that I truly feel at home. I know that sounds kind of strange, but I've never actually felt completely at home in my life. I always felt like I was missing some place, that I wished I could get back there. Now, I know that it was my life in the pre-existence when I lived with God and with Jesus and all of my brothers and sisters. And now that I have found all of the information in the LDS Church, I know that I am home...and that one day I will return to live with Heavenly Father. For that, I am eternally grateful.











11 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow. Rachel, wow. You are wonderful.

Candice@The Fellas and I said...

You are the one who openly admits that you are stubborn. You'll come around my liberal friend! Congrats again. We miss you and love you guys!

Jean said...

I love this past Rachel! You are so brave and wonderful and a really good example to me!

gumball said...

I'm glad you've found a spiritual connection. The sincerity is what I really respect.
--Chris Johnson

Cruze Family said...

We love you Rachel, we wish so much we could have been there with you! We are so happy for you!

Candice@The Fellas and I said...

Keith here. Don't worry, you'll come around. I think it says in the Book of Mormon somewhere in 3rd Nephi that "Yea, it came unto pass that the Lord did smite the wicked liberals from the face of the earth and there was forever peace and prosperity under a conservative, capitalist system. And the Lord then did say 'I have slayed all thy liberal foes, my work on this earth is done, peace out y'all' and heaven did open up to a heavenly chorus singing 'Hosana! 8 years may McCain and Palin reign!' And the Lord did smile and give a thumbs up to all his chosen Republicans."

But seriously, I am happy that you and your family are so happy with your life changing decision. Keep in touch, we miss you.

The Stevens said...

You make me cry.....not that it is hard to do but you really are amazing! I am so happy for you and your family and all the great things that are still coming your way!! You are a great friend and example. Congrats!!!!!

Alicia said...

Thanks you sooooo much for sharing! What a beautiful day for a beautiful woman. I'm glad that I know you!

Azure said...

I had no idea about any of this. Congrats on the baptism!!! I really wish that you guys lived closer to us. Our boys could hang out together!

Mike and Brenna said...

Hey! I'm Keith Sano's little sister. just wanted to congratulate you on your decision to be baptized. I was so happy for you and Alex when I heard.

p.s. Sorry for by ultra-conservative brother. If it makes you feel better, he once picked up a chair and was ready to throw it at me for making a comment that contradicted his. Luckily my dad was there to stop him:)

the Eggett's said...

Rachel,

I decided that I better post some things that I remembered about your baptism. . . . You were calm and confident and comfortable with the whole process. The spirit in the room was so strong and undeniable, and witnessed of Heavenly Father's love for you. Your spirit beamed. (does that sound cheesy?) Anyway, I was absolutely touched by the spirit, and had my own witness that the church is true, and that Heavenly Father wants us to be happy. It was a great experience for Jake and I to be there. THANK YOU so much for inviting us to come, and for graciously allowing us to stay at your home! We had such a great time with you guys!

Congrats!