So, sometimes I think that I equate parenting with being serious. It's a serious job to mold and shape a person, to teach him everything that he needs to know in order to "succeed" at life, to ensure that he is healthy and hitting those milestones, to teach him how to treat others with respect...and on and on and on. But, it is those moments when he says something that send both me and him into a laughing fit that I truly see how fun parenting really should be. Obviously it's not always go to be fun, but I need to lighten up, to stop and enjoy these little toddler moments. Since it won't be long until he doesn't need mommy anymore and will be wanting a ride to the mall. :/
Anyway, here is a really great article on how parents can lighten up. Let me know what you think! If anyone still reads this blog. heehee
6 years ago
2 comments:
I completely agree!!! I think sometimes we as parents are so concerned about our children being the best, smartest, first, etc.... that we don't enjoy the little moments. I remember that I was so worried about Henry talking correctly and on time like every other child out there that I never enjoyed the other milestones he was hitting and how fun and cute his funny language was. Besides, I think our children can tell when we demand perfection and compare them to others. Can you imagine how that must feel as a child. Pretty crappy!
Thanks Rachel! This was a great article and a very good reminder to be more of a support and motivator than a strict dictator.
Post a Comment